Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nutty Quotes

I didn't bring my camera to the Collinsville YMCA on Tuesday, but I did have the kids write down some things they learned while doing the "Nutty Investigation" activity. During this activity, students create a device to crack various types of nuts and determine which nuts have the hardest shells to crack. Then, they do an experiment to determine which nuts have the highest fat content. While they seemed to really enjoy eating the nuts after the experiments, I think they all liked predicting and experimenting with them as well!

Here are a few of the quotes:

"Today we did an experiment on different nuts. My favorite part was eating them, but I did learn about the different types of nuts and how fatty they are" 
-McKinley Dunford

"I loved what we did today! After we cracked the nuts was my favorite part, because we got to eat them!"
-Dustin Beckner

"It was so cooliotastic when you heard the loud boom when the can crushed the pecan."
-Beth Lovelace

"We learned how to think critically about how many beans in a can could smash a pecan, hazelnut, and a peanut. The hazelnut was the hardest nut for my group to crack. The walnut was the fattiest nut!"
-Savannah Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment